INNOVATION IN SAFETY FOOTWEAR
Bata Industrials wants to look into the future of Safety Footwear. We would like your design
institution to participate and show us your vision for the future of Safety Footwear. This project
is the first step of new, exciting conceptual design projects.
- Define the design philosophy of this Project. e.g. “Footwear beyond safety”.
- Research, analyse the end user, e.g. Factory-Worker.
- Create product line/lines based on functional distinctions.
- Maximize biomechanical and Human Factors features of safety footwear.
- Research and apply new technologies and new materials for soles and upper materials, visible and invisible elements.
- Improve climate management.
- Invent special features, find new materials, technologies, new closure systems.
- Innovate, design new functional features, new slip resistant outsole designs.
The challenge of this project is to explore solutions and applications of new technology,
new materials and material combinations to create a new generation, new trendy look, innovative,
improved concepts for safety footwear. The aim of this project should not be just to create new
beautiful designs, but also functional manufacturable solutions, with an eye on better safety,
comfort, health and styling.
These concepts may be the foundation for Bata Industrials to create specific collections which
will set the Bata safety footwear apart from the rest of the competition. Developing several
design solutions so Bata can continue its progress and growth towards the development of an innovative
new generation of safety footwear collections. During the design process Bata will provide relevant
technical information and professional support to facilitate the design process and final outcome.
Corporate Sponsor: Bata Industrials, Best, The Netherlands
Bata is one of the world’s leading integrated manufacturers and marketers of footwear. Bata companies
produce 150 million pairs of shoes every year. Bata Industrials is the Safety Shoe Division of Bata Word-Wide.
Once this project starts Bata will provide a comprehensible Product Brief and personal support for your design
effort. You the Student will act as a Consultant Designer with Bata Industrials as the Client. You will be
treated as a professional designer and will be expected to perform and act professionally. The design process
should be exciting and fun and the end result will be successful, something you and every participant will be